Welcome back to the stage of history!

Sunny Koda is a concept artist from Australia who went to the US filming a Documentary about Gamer Culture. He went from Sand Diego to Vancouver, from Comic Con to PAX. Now he's following his dream of working in the daunting US Games industry. Will he make it? I hope so. Because I am that guy.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

I wish I had a weaa-poon!

Here I am! The US of A.

I'm a little tired but well fed/showered/rested. In target whilst buying a phone I nearly passed out from exhaustion but a long nap put me in better shape. The flight, you see, was terrible.



Things just tend to go wrong when I'm involved and while I'm glad it wasn't something life threatening the problems on the plane have left me pretty rattled. Firstly my idea to stay up all night prior to my flight (playing Halo ODST/HAlo 3 with my bro) in order to help me sleep on the plane didn't work, as the flight was too turbulent, causing me to remain awake for a record 48hours. That's two seasons of 24. But what really sucked was that the electricals malfunctioned in economy causing complete loss of all video, audio, lighting and the flight attendant call buttons. All I could do was read and when it got dark I couldn't even do that. Hours dragged by bored out of my little clockwork mind while trying not to be completely terrified by the pitching turbulence keeping me from the sleep I so badly craved. For our discomfort they have offered a $150 domestic flight voucher which I can take advantage of to visit San Francisco. I'm still pretty messed up though, hopefully a proper night's sleep will amend this. It was winter this morning (30 hours ago) and now it's a humid summer eve. Luke's apartment complex is beautiful, just like the OC on tv.

I checked out the stash of t-shirts Luke has been stockpiling for me, they are by and large awesome and I wholeheartedly thank the companies that are supporting my gamer adventure! I wore an oldschool Sonic The Hedgehog shirt today and a guy working at Gamestop gave me sweet nerd props for it. Thanks 80's Tees :D

I might go back and chat with him tomorrow, perhaps he'll say something for my doco?

I started doing a little filming which was fun, Luke played Battlefield and then we did a three-man MTG draft. Chris (his English housemate) seems to like fighters so perhaps he'll come with me to meet Zufall later this week. I'll email him now; I'm very interested in the 'Bar-fights' his friend organises. More on that later.

I'm loving it here, everything is warm and spread out and pretty huge. Every time I hear someone speak it sounds so unreal, so tv. I can hear some girls by the pool outside chatting about girl stuff and they sound so Californian I can't help but cock my head and grin. Speaking of girls, Luke just went out for some parsely and (after some cajoling) returned with a girl's number instead! His new haircut has gone straight to his head. Alll in all an interesting first day.

Tomorrow; the soccer world cup, turning my new mobile phone on, Chris' famous 'fry-up' and meeting some Blizzard chaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment