Welcome back to the stage of history!

Sunny Koda is a concept artist from Australia who went to the US filming a Documentary about Gamer Culture. He went from Sand Diego to Vancouver, from Comic Con to PAX. Now he's following his dream of working in the daunting US Games industry. Will he make it? I hope so. Because I am that guy.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Forgiven, not forgotten.

Hey! If anyone is reading this the documentary has been on hold due to lack of an editor - but I'm in talks with my brother who tells me he is once again interested so something may come of it in the end. Fingers crossed.

The whole experience of travelling around the US and filming every day was really great - it forced me to go right out of my comfort zone and try to cover as many locations, personalities and events as possible. It ended up being am amazing time and I haven't forgotten any of the super cool people I met.

The other purpose of my trip was also partially fulfilled: I want to work as a concept artist in the games industry and, having the chance to see companies such as Blizzard, EA Games, Wizards of the Coast and Rockstar, I was blown away by the level of talent and the friendly culture I found. I met a lot of great contacts but unfortunately had no work that was good enough to be worth shopping around. The three main things I learned were:

1. I was no where near the benchmark even for a junior position. People had a lot of positive advice for me, and over the last two years I think I've dedicated myself thoroughly enough to get where I need to be in time for another trip I've scheduled for August.

2. It wasn't too difficult with the right contacts/attitude to get your work in front of the right people.

3. Everyone who works in games is so damn cool and friendly I can't accept working in any other field!

All this means I've been completely focused on my art (also my wife, and the ol' 9-to-5) without the time to update multiple blogs. I'm not so sure keeping seperate blogs for art/documentary/creative writing is necessary anyway so for the time being I've consolidated them all into one which I will continue to update with all of everything.

Yes, this was a round about way of saying my blog has moved:

sunnykoda.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment